An IRS online account makes it easy for people to quickly get the tax planning info they need. With the same ease that taxpayers have when banking online or placing an online shopping order, they can log in and get the latest on their payment history, balance, and more.
Taxpayers can view information about their account including:
- Their payoff amount, which is updated for the current day
- The balance for each tax year for which they owe taxes
- Their payment history
- Key information from their most current tax return as originally filed
- Payment plan details if they have one
- Digital copies of select IRS notices
- Their address on file
With an online account, taxpayers can also:
- Make a same day payment
- Set up an online payment plan
- Access tax records and transcripts
- Authorize another person to represent them before the IRS or view their tax records
- Approve and electronically sign Power of Attorney and Tax Information Authorization requests from their tax professional
A taxpayer’s balance will update no more than once every 24 hours, usually overnight. Taxpayers should also allow one to three weeks for payments to show in the payment history.